Javascript must be enabled to continue!

Varna


History of synagogues    EN

Author: ROUSSEV IVAN

The Jews of Varna came into possession of their own prayer house (a synagogue) in the middle of the 19th century, at the time when they started to grow in numbers and to enhance their presence in the Black Sea town. The exact date is not known, but the construction was most probably completed either in 1854-1855 or in 1856. The first synagogue was located in a wooden building, which had been used up to that moment as a storehouse for timber. It belonged to the French and Austrian vice-consul Adolf-Salvador Tedeschi who himself took upon the task to obtain a ferman (a royal decree) from the Sublime Porte for opening the synagogue. It was located close to Balik Pazar. A new synagogue was built close to it in 1890 – a massive building with rich ornamentation of the façade[1].

 


[1] Кацарски, Г. Молитвените храмове на Варна. – „10 книги за Варна-2005”, Варна, 2006, с. 152–198; Русев, И. Варна през Късното Средновековие и Възраждането (края на XІV в. – 1878 г.). – В: Русев, И., В. Плетньов. История на Варна. Т. ІІ (VII в. – 1878 г.). Изд. „Славена” – Варна, 2012, с. 488–499.


References

Bibliography:

Библиография:

Кацарски, Г. Молитвените храмове на Варна. – „10 книги за Варна-2005”, Варна, 2006, с. 152–198;

Русев, И. Варна през Късното Средновековие и Възраждането (края на XІV в. – 1878 г.). – В: Русев, И., В. Плетньов. История на Варна. Т. ІІ (VII в. – 1878 г.). Изд. „Славена” – Варна, 2012, с. 488–499.


Back