Author: ROUSSEV IVAN
During the long period from the beginning of the 16th century (1502) to the beginning of the 19th century the settlement named Burgas (Pirgos), his land and his port belonged administratively to the subdistrict (kaza) of Aytos.
In 1786 the Austrian Wenzel Edler von Brognard mentioned Burgas as a “kasaba” (a settlement with a market, bigger than a village but smaller than a city, a little town) with 1 100 – 1 200 homes. At that time Burgas was the administrative center of all settlements on the West Black Sea coast from Obzor in the north to Ahtopol in the south.
In 1830 Burgas belonged administratively to the subdistrict (kaza) of Anhialo (presently named Pomorie) of the District (sanjak) of Silistre. In 1849 kaza Anhialo with Burgas was yet included in District (sanjak) of Islimie (presently named Sliven). Followed an administrative reform as a result of which was created kaza of Burgas to which passed some settlements from older in this area kazas Anhialo and Rusokastro. Actually kaza Burgas was established by a firman (a royal decree) on December 11, 1851 and this subdistrict included all settlements on the West Black Sea coast from Akdere (presently named Byala) in the north to Rezovo in the south.
In 1852 the administrative center already was established in Burgas and It included 73 settlements. Most of them came from older kaza Anhialo and 12 came from kaza Rusokastro. Initially kaza Burgas belonged administratively to the Sandjak of Silistre, and as a result of administrative reform in the Ottoman Empire from 1864-1868, it became part of Sanjak of Islimie who belonged to the Province of Edirne. This administrative situation was maintained until 1878, when under the Treaty of Berlin to the south of the Hemus (Stara Planina) was created an autonomous region named Eastern Rumelia. It included Burgas.
During the Russian occupation established in Principality of Bulgaria and Eastern Rumelia after the Russian-Turkish war from 1877–1878 and the Treaty of Berlin (1878) in Bulgarian lands ware created an administrative units named gubernias. In Eastern Rumelia (1878–1885) were established two gubernias which centers were Plovdiv and Sliven, and Burgas became administrative center of one of districts (departments) in Gubernia of Sliven – the Department of Burgas. The Department of Burgas included 227 settlements divided between four cantons. The Canton of Burgas included 55 settlements.
After the Unification of Eastern Rumelia and Principality of Bulgaria (1885) Burgas was within the boundaries of the Principality of Bulgaria as a county town.
 Карайотов, И., Ст. Райчевски, М. Иванов. История на Бургас. От древността до средата на XX в. Бургас, 2011, с. 90, 302.
 Ников, П. Едно неизвестно описание на Българския черноморски бряг от XVIII в. – Годишник на Софийския университет, ИФФ, XXVIII, 1931, с. 16; Карайотов, И., Ст. Райчевски, М. Иванов. История на Бургас. От древността до средата на XX в. Бургас, 2011, с. 68–69.
 Щерионов, Щ. Гърците по българските земи през ХVІІІ-ХІХ век (до 1878 г.). Историко-демографска характеристика. В. Търново, 2008, с. 277.
 Карайотов, И., Ст. Райчевски, М. Иванов. История на Бургас. От древността до средата на XX в. Бургас, 2011, с. 120–121.
 Русев, И. Ролята на Бургаското пристанище и Бургас за развитието на сливенската търговия през Възраждането. – Архив за поселищни проучвания. (Университетско издателство „Св. св. Кирил и Методий” – Велико Търново), Година четвърта (1995), № 2, с. 19.
 Карайотов, И., Ст. Райчевски, М. Иванов. История на Бургас. От древността до средата на XX в. Бургас, 2011, с. 173, 175.